In 1965, when a movie called Shaheed released, Manoj Kumar became the patriotic hero of India. So much so, that after the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri asked him to create a film based on the popular slogan Jai Jawan Jai Kissan (hail the soldier, hail the farmer). He was called ' Bharat Kumar ' all over India. Fast forward to 2001. The year Lagaan released. The film was a super hit and Aamir suddenly became the thinking man's actor. The films that followed, build on his nationalistic image. He was called, the perfectionist. The god of Indian cinema, who could do no wrong. But guess what ? Aamir is no superman. He an is ordinary guy. And a hypocrite at that.
Here are ten glaring hypocrisies of Aamir Khan :
1) He has issues with the desi awards, but chases the videshi ones. Aamir Khan refuses to attend award functions in India, but spends months " lobbying " for the movie Lagaan, when it got nominated for the Oscars. Not just that, the total budget for Lagaan's Oscar publicity was $2 million (Rs 9.6 crore). You see, all this was just to get as many members of the committee to watch the movie, as possible. Its another matter, that most people fell asleep post interval, because it was three hour, 42 minute film. So, Mr Khan, if your movie was so great, why not let the film do the talking !!
2) A few months before the release of the movie 'Rang De Basanti ' , Mr Khan lends his support to the anti-development Narmada Bacho Andolan against building the Narmada Dam by socialist Medha Patkar. But a few months later, after he earned himself a title of " Environmentally Concious Star " he completely disassociated himself with the movement. Its another matter that dam's benefits include provision of drinking water, power generation and irrigation facilities. And NBA is a group of environmental extremists who use pseudo-scientific agitprop to scuttle the development of the region and that the dam will provide agricultural benefits to millions of poor in India. So, Mr Khan, if you really believed in the cause of the tribals, you should have stuck around !!
3) Now, tactful and insightful media, made him the voice of the nation. Aamir Khan tells the nation to be nice to foreigners. He even set an example for us, according to a popular glossy, Aamir met a British woman, Jessica Hines on the sets of the movie ' Ghulam’ and were in a live-in relationship. Hines got pregnant and everything changed overnight. The happiest moment turned into a nightmare when Aamir told Hines to abort the child or forego their relationship. Its another matter, that Hines refused to oblige and give birth to “Jaan”, their " alleged " love-child. He is 12 now and budding model. So, Mr Khan, you don't leave an occasion to preach morality to the nation, should have done the right thing yourself !!
4) For anyone who has seen the movie ' 3 Idiots ' and read the book ' 5 Point Someone' knows, that the movie is based on the book. However, when Mr Chetan Bhagat, the author of the book, asked for appropriate credit, Aamir Khan says " "He is trying to take away the credit from the film's writer Abhijat Joshi, which I am very upset about. It is an attempt on his part to try and take the credit away from the person who has actually worked on the script. It's very unfortunate. There should not be any confusion to anyone that Abhijat is our film's writer," . Its another matter, that Mr Chetan Bhagat is today, not only one of the most popular writers in India, but also a successful Bollywood screenwriter. So, Mr Khan, if you care so much about people's rights, why not give the writer his due credit ??
5) When the veteran activist and Gandhian Anna Hazare's fast-unto-death campaign against corruption started, Aamir Khan too has joined the chorus. You see, Talash was about to release. Its another matter, the entire movement fizzled out in a while, when Arvind Kejriwal decided to form a political party AAP ( Aam Admi Party ). So Mr Khan, if you were so serious about the issue of corruption, you should have taken it forward, instead of making it just a PR stunt, before the release of your movie ?
6) In the meanwhile, Mr Khan gets re-married to Kiran Rao. Not that its any of our business, but then we watched an episode of 'Satyamev Jayate'. Did I tell you about the show ? Well it was a show, where Aamir preached morality to the entire nation. He told us how to live. And in the meanwhile, created a whole lot of good-will for himself. The “solution” intended in his show were so obscure and so far away from reality that it was hilarious most of the times and the “problems” discussed had no novelty. In one of the episodes, the messiah discussed female infanticide. We all saw a teary eyed Aamir Khan pouring his heart out for the girl child. Its another matter and again, none of our business, but then Aamir decides to have a surrogate baby. So, Mr Khan, could you not introspect and take in an orphan girl instead ?
7) The oh-so-religious Aamir goes to Hajj and prays that all muslims go to Hajj unfailingly. He feels very close to god and a changed man on his return according to his interviews. “It was a moving and spiritually overawing. A very emotional and introspective moment for me, I am a Haji ” says the actor. Then he produces a movie called PK. In the movie he advocated us, that
' Jo darte hain, wohi mandir jaate hain ' ( Only the cowards visit temples) and showed a person dressed as Lord Shiva running helter skelter . It another matter, that in-spite of hurting the Hindu sentiment, the movie managed to gross 700 plus crores. So, Mr Khan, going to Hajj and throwing stones at the devil is a spiritual experience, but pouring milk on Shivling is superstition !!
8) Aamir produces a sleazy, low budget movie called Delhi Belly. Just to give you an idea about the movie, in one scene, actor Kunal Roy Kapur who plays, Nitin relieves himself in the loo, where the metal flush falls on his head. He cleans himself up with orange juice thereafter; his butt cheeks, he says, are now stuck to each other. So, basically, all in all, a crass movie. It had a song called ' Bhag Bhag DK Bose ' with equally grotesque wordings. A few years later, when the AIB show surfaces, which is full of expletives and adult jokes, Aamir calls it violent and vulgar. Its another matter, that after watching the AIB video, I figured that the characteristics of a being cool dude or babe are abusive language, making fun of male/female parts, being racist, passing lewd remarks/comments, laughing on the jokes on your own mother’s private parts. Coming back to Aamir, so Mr Khan, its pretty ironic for a person who produced Delhi belly to get offended by the AIB roast. Dont you think ?
9) In one of his sermons on the show 'Satyamev Jayate', Aamir preached ethics to doctors. He turned into a ‘social superman’ and objected at the medicines and drugs being sold without prescription. All that is great ! Its a very good thing that you did, Mr Khan. But the problem arose, when Aamir chose to endorse a online shopping website called Snapdeal. As per sources, he earned something between 15 to 20 crore in the deal. It was later discovered that the company was involved in selling illegal drugs without prescription online. Its another matter, that such a thing escaped the knowledge of Mr perfectionist, who is known in the industry for his through homework. So, Mr Khan, now that the truth is out, why haven't you terminated the contract ?
10 ) On the same 'Satyamev Jayate' show, in one of the episodes, Aamir talks about the perils of drunk driving. He talks about making stringent laws and making sure that the culprits get punished. He then tweets " I pledge I will never be a bystander in an accident, will always help the bystander no matter what ". And then his fellow actor Salman Khan, who was involved in a hit and run case in 2002, where one person died and four others were injured, got bail and interim relief from high court, Aamir Khan rejoiced. Its another matter, that the several concerns were raised by many people in the country, regarding the decision, but Aamir kept mum. So, Mr Khan, is friendship above morality ?